Sunday, December 16, 2007

Letter to Me-Revisited

I've mulled over the thought of what I would say to myself if I could write my 17 year old self a letter and I have decided what I might-and definitely might NOT- say. If teens listened to one half of what adults said, they wouldn't make nearly as many mistakes. But then, they also wouldn't learn as many lessons. Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way. And being the stubborn child that I was, I wouldn't have listened anyway. Any sentence that began with "Don't do this" would have guaranteed my doing just that. But if I could, I think I would offer my young self some words of encouragement, something to possibly motivate a more positive outlook and a higher self esteem. I would tell myself to try band, to try the drama club, to try a new sport, to sing in the choir. I would say not to take things so very seriously. I would tell myself that I'm a better person than I think I am. I would encourage myself to look for my faith, I would tell myself to give that one particular person a chance, I would tell myself to keep my chin up, to pay more attention to my grandparents because some would be gone sooner than I thought. I would say that these are the best days of your "young life" and to not squander them, but that even better days are ahead.

It goes without saying that everything happens for a reason and that the path we take and the choices we make lead us to right where we are supposed to be and that changing any one thing may alter the course of one's life. I wouldn't want to do that. But if I could offer myself a glimmer of hope...maybe that little girl would get to this point in her life with a bit more self worth and a better attitude "if I could write a letter to me...."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home